Pictures Letters Journals Bikes Camp Plan Funding/Cost MyBooks Media Support Contact


Custom Search

The story of how I saved money, quit my job, sold my possessions, and set off to endlessly travel by bike around the world. My Plan

My 3 Books
I write, self publish and sell books about touring

Picture Gallery
Travel Plan

My Books
About Me
Media/Press Room


Photo Use Info

Read Sample Letter
Continue My Travels

Places I have been
How can I afford this?)

India and Neighbors
May 2010 to present

Alaska / Canada / USA
May 2008 to April 2010

New Zealand
Sept 2007 to May 2008

Sept 2006 to Sept 2007

SE Asia / China
Nov 2004 to Sept 2006

South America
June 2003 to June 2004

AZ, Mexico, and Central America
March 2002 to April 2003

How I started
The 5 years before I left

*Help Support this Web Site and Continue My Travels.

Equipment Pages Index

How Much to Bring and Weight
Some Advice About Advice
A Note to Perspective Sponsors and Gear Suppliers
(See more about Sponsorship)

START HERE for Touring Bikes and Commuting Bicycles
Custom Touring Bicycles and Bike Upgrade Buyers Guide
Bicycle Touring Frames 
The Steel Repair Myth.
Steel and Aluminum Derailleur Hanger Repair.
Bicycle Touring Wheels
Phil Wood: The Best Bicycle Hubs

Panniers / Bike Bags
Cargo Trailers Vs Panniers
Tires for Bike Tours..
Bicycle Touring Saddles.
Women's Specific Bike Touring Saddles
Brooks Leather Touring Bicycle Saddle Care and Conditioning
Bike Computer
Touring Handlebars, Bar Ends, Adjustable Stems, and Padded Grips.
Sealed Cartridge Headsets

How to prevent flat tires
Bike Route Trails and Maps

Buying Camping Equipment
Tent and Ground Cloth
Sleeping Bag
Sleeping Pad
Camp Stove
Pots and Pans
Water Filter
First Aide Kits
Solar Power for Camp

Bike Touring Shorts

Short-wave Radio
Bicycle touring lights

Packing list
Pictures of Equipment Failures

See My Videos Here

(see all 3 book)

Cindie's Ecuador #2 Daily Journal
Travel Writing, Blog, Travelogue
to Macara, (the Peruvian border), Ecuador
(July 9 - Aug 4, 2003)

WB01618_.gif (290 bytes)  Previous Journal Thumbnail Photo Page for this Journal

Tim's Letter for this Journal

Next Journal  WB01620_.gif (288 bytes)
July 9 Riobamba - Columbe.  We started our climb out of Riobamba a little late.  We had a few things to fix before we left.  The water filter needed to be lubed and the stove had to be completely disassembled.  Apparently the gasoline in Ecuador is the worst we have encountered.  The carbon builds up and clogs the jets.  We have cleaned the fuel line twice.  The road out of town headed west and we had a good tail wind.  We climbed steadily and the road went from bad to worse to recently paved.  We had lunch in the only restaurant we could find.  We were again at high altitude and we rode over a pass of 3,350 meters (11,150 feet)  It began to rain as we coasted down the other side.  We decided to look for a place to camp.

Tim stopped and asked a man if we could camp near his yard and he said no it is not safe, please stay inside the house.  That is when we met Enreano and his family, they are Quechua Indian.  Enreano is 20 years old, his wife Rosia, is 18 years old, and their son Kevin, is 2 years old.  They invited us to take a shower, the shower house looked like it had recently been put up and it even had hot water.

When Enreano told us that he had a computer we could not believe it.  He took us to a room and showed us his computer and said that it was only 5 months old.  Tim and Enreano sat down for hours working away on the computer.  Tim showed Enreano what he could do with the computer, they both were delighted.  I on the other hand entertained the ladies.  I made dinner of pasta with mushrooms and tomato sauce.  They did not like pasta and did not even want to try the sauce.  They preferred potatoes and chicken.  We all gathered together in the computer room and we took some photos of the family for Enreano.  It turns out the Enreano is going away to school in the fall.  He is going to Cuba for university.  I do not think he is taking his wife and child, Tim does.  He was very thankful to have the photos of his family.

They asked us how old we were, how much money did we make and how much our things cost.  We played down the cost of things and how much money we made when we were working but we were truthful about our age.  They told us that a teacher makes $150 per month and that is three times as much as everyone else.  Wow, no wonder they live so basically.

34 km

21 mi

July 10 Columbe - Alausi.  We woke up to rain, this made it hard to pack up.  I was talking with the ladies in the yard and asked them about some jewelry that they were wearing.  They like to wear beads of all kinds.  Before I knew it I was wearing a couple of strands of beads.  I could not resist and bought a strand of red beads from them.

As we packed up we had the entire family as an audience.  The women specifically asked me about my seat, they all had to touch it.  I told them that it really was comfortable to ride on.  They just marveled over everything we had.  I felt like a spoiled brat that had every thing.  My instinct was to give them something, I guess I was trying to make myself feel better.  In the end I gave them some tea I had, they did not even have that.  They told me that they never buy anything from the store.  Hmm, it puzzles me how Enreano got a brand new computer that he said cost $1200 dollars.

We were fully dressed in tights and jackets when we left, it was chilly outside but at least it was not raining.  We stopped in the town of Guamote, just 10 kilometers (6 miles) down the road for lunch.  We met a couple of Americans, who were doing community development.  They told us that there is a program supported by the World Bank to assist the local indigenous Indians.  They said that there was a leadership program where they would train future leaders of the indigenous.  Maybe that is where Enreano got his computer. 

We rode on and again climbed over a pass of 3,400 meters (11,400 feet) and descended back down to 2,800 meters (9,300 feet).  I thought Alausi was right around the corner.  Ahgh.  We turned the corner and there was another up hill climb, I could not even see the top because it was covered in clouds.  I was not sure if I had the energy to get up and over that hill.  On top of that the hill was very steep.  As we were climb ever so slowly, you can guess what happen, I heard the hissing sound of not a snake but Tim's tire.  Great, just great.  Tim had a flat tire, on the hill.  So the sun is going down, it is getting cold and Tim is wrestling with that damn Continental Town and Country.  Unfortunately, we had to buy it, we prefer Continental top touring.  The reason we do not like the town and country is because it is extremely difficult to get off the rim and we (Tim) have bent many tire levers trying to get it off.  Finally the tire is fixed and up we go back to 3,100 (10,300 feet).  There is a down hill somewhere around here.  We topped the hill and we dropped like a rock down to Alausi elevation 2400 meters (8,000 feet), we passed trucks going down the hill.  I also could see that we had a frightful climb out of this hole.  Ah well we can save that for another day.  All and all it has been a good day, I always say, "It is better to ride on your birthday then not".

We got a room at Hotel Gampala, we negotiated $10 per night for a double room with a private bath (original price was $14/ night).  We reluctantly left our bikes in a down stairs closet.

55 km

34 mi

July 11 Alausi.  Rest day.  We took the train through the "devils nose" today.  It was suppose to be an hour and a half ride from Alausi to Sibambe and back.  The roof of the train was already crowded with passengers from Riobamba, it had taken 4 hours to reach Alausi and it had rained half the time.  We squeezed between a couple of people and next to a vender who was an absolute blast all the way down and back.  The vender pointed out different crops and was pleasant the entire time.  He even held on to me while I stood up while the train was racing down the tracks.  A little thrill is always fun.

As we were zig zagging through the devils nose the train derailed off the track.  We were stuck for some time.  It was not a planned event but still entertaining.  They got the wheels back on the track the old fashion way, with rocks and creosote leaves for lubrication, ingenious I thought.  With the train back on the track we were again on our way. 

We arrived back in town at 2:45 pm, many of the other riders were on their way to Cuenca, a five hour ride on a bus.  What a long day.

I wish I could check my email and see how the tour de France is going, but there is no internet in this town.  Too bad.  Today is the team time trial. 

July 12 Alausi.  Rest day.  We spent the day reading and repairing various equipment.  
July 13 Alausi - Chunchi.  We left Alausi on market day.  Right off the bat we had a 400 meter (1300 feet) climb.  When we got to the top to take a break and some pictures of town we noticed Tim's tire was going flat again!.  We inspected his front tire and found a huge piece of glass in it.  I had to dig it out with the leatherman.  We fix the tire and headed down the road.  Fifteen minutes later Tim stopped to take some video.  Suddenly I hear Tim yelling my name.  His front tire had gone flat again.  This is getting tedious.  So again, Tim changed the tire and we started to roll again when again, the tire went flat, apparently the valve went bad.  It seemed like hours later we back on the road.  Before long we were looking for a place to camp.

The road turned from paved to dirt.  Tim decided to video tape me going down the road so naturally I went first.  I turned the corner and I saw a man holding a rope across the road.  This brought back memories of Chiapas, Mexico, usually they want money and are not very friendly.  As I approached the rope the man dropped it and lunged at me, yelling siete, siete, (7, 7,) he wanted 7 dollars for me to pass.  I shifted in high gear and stepped on it.  Luckily, Tim saw what was happening and came barreling down the hill to protect me.  The man saw Tim coming and ran off never to be seen again.  The road remained rough for a little while longer.  By the time we hit pavement again my insides were rattled beyond belief.

A few more kilometers down the road we picked up some water from a cement block and picked a place to camp.  Little did I know it was an area infested with mosquitos, yes we happen to be camped near a spring, not a good choice.  I had about 20 bites on my legs before we had the tent up.

15 km

9 mi

July 14 Chunchi - Santa Rosa. We had breakfast in Chunchi, we were overcharged, then we bought gas and the attendant tried to over charge us again.  Some towns are just not friendly to tourists.  The day was clear and warm we quickly set into a routine.  We would climb around a ridge only to descend back down to the base level of the next tributary canyon.  The scenery was incredibly breath taking.  High mountain peaks to the east and the cloud covered coastal plain to the west.  On one of the tortuous climbs a pick up truck pulled over and asked us if we wanted a ride to El Tambo.  It was very tempting, but we did not want to start taking rides yet.  We needed to get in shape from all our time off.

We climbed on and on and finally found a place hidden from the road.  We could see Chimborazo off in the distance.  At night we could see the big dipper, the ladle appears ready to scoop water, and the north star is directly over head.   I believe that it was one of our most scenic and comfortable camp sites ever.

27 km

16 mi

July 15 Santa Rosa - El Tambo.  The morning sun was hot so we packed up quickly.  While we were back in the States we bought a new watch that happen to have a compass, altimeter, and barometer on it as well.  Today was the first day that I attempt to record our total ascent and decent in meters.  So when I remember to turn the log on I will summarize the data from it.

We climbed and descended all day.  At the top of  the first summit we met Luis, who was waiting for a bus.  He is a radio announce, he had a great voice.  I have to say that the people in Ecuador have been extremely friendly and a joy to meet.  We stopped at Zhud for lunch.  It was the climb after lunch that really tested me, I was beginning to wonder if we were going to make it to El Tambo.  We finally arrived in El Tambo and I checked out the only place to stay in town. Residential Estefania.  The room was acceptable but oh the bathroom was nasty, it smelled so bad when she opened the door that I had to run.  I convinced Tim that we should look for another place.  We spent the next 45 minutes riding around town and to no avail, we did not find anything else. So back to the Estefania we went.  They charged $6 for the room.  I highly recommend that you do not stay in El Tambo. 

Today we ascended 955 meters ( 3150 feet), and descended 750 meters (2475 feet).

42 km

25 mi

July 16 El Tambo - Canar. We got out of town as quick as we could.  The weather is changing and it is very windy.  On our way to Canar Tim got another flat tire.  When we inspected the tire we found a bone, yes I said bone.  Strange.  It took an hour to ride to Canar from El Tambo.  The wind was wearing me out so I convinced Tim to stay the night in Canar.  Of course we had to ride up cobblestone streets to get to the center of town.  I could not make it up the hill but Tim rode on, by the time he reached the top he had a crowd cheering him on.

I on the other hand I had to push my bike up the hill.  We stayed in Hotel Ingapirca.  It was just the opposite of El Tambo.  The room had a TV, one large bed, a private bath with hot water.  We were also in luck. ESPN had a recap of the Tour de France, in spanish, and a half hour show on Lance Armstrong.  What an inspiration.  I was ready to ride tomorrow.

8 km

5 mi

July 17 Canar - Cuenca.  The windy weather yesterday must have been a front coming through because it rained last night and it was very cloudy today.  We decided to ride today anyway.  Ten minutes up the hill and it started to rain.  We waited until it let up and began to ride again, at this point it was warmer to keep riding.  As we approached the top it began to rain hard and there was no where to stop and take cover.  So we rode on.  I thought that the weather would clear once we went over the top, but I was completely wrong.  The clouds were so thick we could not see.  We put our lights on and rode on.  We descended for about an hour and stopped at the first restaurant we saw.  We were both cold, wet and hungry.  Lunch was unimpressive but warmed us up.  We continued to descend and had to stop when Tim's front brake was not working.

We dried out by the time we arrived at the town of Azogues, this lifted out spirits and we decided to roll on into Cuenca.  As we approached Cuenca it began to rain again.  By the time we arrived at the Plaza we were again very wet.  I went in search of a hotel before sundown.

Gran Hotel, $14 per night includes breakfast, comfortable room, cable TV, and unlimited hot water.  The hotel is a comfortable place and the staff are very friendly.

   We ascended 925 meters (3050 feet) and descended 1480 (4800 feet) today.

67 km

40 mi

July 18 Cuenca.  Visited the Cathedral today.  It is a beautiful church made of pink and white marble with stained glass at every alter.  The interior of the Cathedral is lit by natural sun light through the stained glass.  At night the exterior of the building glows a pinkish hue. Just a block away there is a square, I call it flower square, they sell tons of flowers there.  I try to go by here everyday.

We went in search of internet cafes today.  All that we have found are very slow.

July 19 Cuenca.  Explored the river walk today.  This is one of the first Latin American cities that has a river going through it that does not smell like sewer.  Explored other parts of town.  Found a great Internet Cafe called Bapunet.  It is faster than any other connection we have had in Ecuador.  
July 20 Cuenca.  Took the day off and watched movies and the Tour de France highlights on ESPN.  
July 21 Cuenca.  We originally were going to leave today but we still have chores to do around town so we will leave tomorrow.  Our stove is not working well and we spent three hours looking for a replacement, we did not find a stove we liked so we are going to try and keep our original going.  Maybe it will get better when we get to Peru where we can use white gas.

I never realized how easy we have it in the USA.  When we want something, anything, we either go buy it in the store or order it off the internet.  Here, we are lucky to find half the things we are looking for.  Since this is our second year on the road our equipment is starting to have wear and tear.  It seems we are constantly fixing something these days.

July 22 Cuenca. I decided to color my hair today, the amount of gray is on the rise.  I went to the store and found the color I thought would work.  I looked at the directions and pulled out my dictionary.  Half way through the instructions I thought, should I be doing this.  Ah what the hey, I do not know anyone here.  45 minutes later I have a new color, Wella Kolston tabasco mediano number 773.  I think it came out all right, Tim did not complain so that was a good sign.  Then again, Tim does not complain about much.

We have been having problems with our charger for the computer.  The wire has twisted to the point where it has come apart.  It was either fix it our not be able to charge the computer.  This was quite the task, we went to the internet cafe, they could not help us, they sent us to the radio and TV store, they could not help us.  We were walking back to the room, I felt defeated, when we saw a sign for copies and a technician sign.  We went in, made some copies of our flyer and spoke to the technician about the charger cord.  He took a look at it and said he could fix it.  Tim was nervous the whole time he was working on it.  It took him about an hour to fix it, he was very meticulous with the whole process.  We tried it out and wha la, it worked.  Of course this will be a temporary fix until we get another one sent from the States. Total cost of the fix was $5.00, not bad.

July 23 Cuenca - Cumbe  We left Cuenca late, we usually do when we stay somewhere for a long time.  We got gas for the stove and headed out for Cumbe.  It seems that Ecuador is having more problems with gasoline shortages, they did not have Super, the entire country does not have Super.  I would hate to put this crappy gas in a new car. 

The road was relatively flat to Cumbe, a novelty to us.  I felt like I could ride all day.  We stopped in Cumbe for lunch, there were no resturants so we had our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, funny but I have not gotten tired of them yet.  We asked for water but it seemed that the city pump was off so no one in town had any water.  We bought 5 liters at the store, the clerk charged us $1.50, I knew we could buy it for a $1.00 in Cuenca and when he left his mother tried to charge us $2.00.  We said no thanks and were ready to leave the water when she accepted $1.50.  It is not the money that upsets me so much, it is the discrimination of sorts.  You are not from around here, I think I will take advantage of you!  That is what I do not like. However, I should not let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.

The road turned up after Cumbe and 3 km out of town it started to rain.  We were riding up a canyon and there were homes everywhere, therefore, no where to camp.  We turned a corner and saw a group of men building a house.  Tim decided to ride across the street and talk to the man about camping.  Lauro, the owner of the new house  He checked with his neighbor and said we could put out tent under the front porch.  The house was just built and they were working on the inside.  The floors were not even in yet.

We entertained the kids while we set up the tent.  We also cleaned Tim's crank and bottom bracket.  The rain was hard on our equipment and Tim's new crank was clicking when he rode.

It was nice to be out of the rain and all of our gear clean and dry.

33 km

20 mi


July 24 Cumbe - Loja.  We woke up at 6:00 am to children outside our tent.  I think they wanted to play, I wanted to sleep.  We had breakfast and left knowing our road was going to climb over a 3525 meter (11,600 foot) pass.  After 30 minutes of riding, it started to rain and rain hard, we found a store overhang to stand under to keep out of the rain.  We stood under the overhang for over an hour thinking about what to do.  We decided to wait and if the weather was still bad then we would hop on a bus.  We did not want to ride the bus but we knew that this area was high and desolate, so a hotel room would be out of the question.  The thought of hypothermia was not pleasant.  We got a break in the weather and jumped on our bikes, if we ended up wet and freezing we would flag down a bus.

So we climbed and climbed for 2 hours.  The sky was overcast but the road was dry.  We topped our pass in a wall of mist.  What else is new.  As soon as we descended 200 meters (600 feet) it was clear and we could see that we were on a ridge bound by very steep canyons.  The riding was pleasant so we pushed on.  The road again turned up, the clouds rolled in and it began to rain again.  We knew if we just descended some it would clear.

We descended and came across a restaurant in the middle of no where.  We stopped and had a good hot lunch.  I was wet and starting to get cold.  We decided to stop for the day.  Tim asked the cook if there was a hotel around, of course there wasn't, it does not hurt to ask.  She said that there was no hotel around.  The closest was in Ona some 36 kilometers (23 miles) away.  At about this time a truck pulled in and the driver got out to buy some cigarettes.  He heard our conversation and said he would give us a ride to Ona.  We could not turn him down, it was raining hard.  So we put our bikes in the back of his truck, and we were off on to another adventure.

It turns out he was driving all the way to Loja so we just stayed in the truck.  We spent the next 4 hours riding through beautiful scenery.  We were either going up or down.  At about sunset Freddie our driver informed us that he had not slept in two nights.  He then asked Tim to drive.  Tim hesitantly said OK, it has been a while.  Now this truck was a pretty large Hino Cargo truck.  So Tim took the wheel and Freddie went to sleep.  The going was slow because it was raining, the road narrowed to a single lane and the road was muddy.  I personally would not have liked driving but Tim did not seem to mind.  About two hours later Freddie said that he could drive again, he said we were close to Loja and would get there soon.  After meandering through a river valley for at least an hour more we arrived in Loja.

Freddie dropped us off at an intersection and said el central was less than a kilometer away.  As we pulled our bikes from the back of the truck we noticed yet again that Tim had a flat front tire.  I am beginning to think that that tire is old and soft.  Since we had less than a kilometer to go we decided to walk.  Forty five minutes later we were still walking.  It seems that we were farther from El central then we thought.  The first hotel we came upon was Hostel de Bus.  An expensive room at $29 per night but hey it included breakfast.  We decided that this was an emergency situation, it was dark, we had a flat, and it was 9:30 at night.  So we reluctantly took the room.

37 km

23 mi



175 km by truck

July 25 Loja.  We had breakfast in the expensive hotel, it came with the room.  Why is it you pay more and get less?  We were on the street ready to go at noon.  Of course it was raining.  We rode the 3 kilometers to the center of town. 

I looked around at 4 different hotels.  We decided to take the cheapest we could find at Hostel Londres for $6.00 per night.  It had a shared bath, but at least it was clean.  We met a group of English high school students at the hotel.

In the middle of the night Tim woke up and said he heard mice.  We went to sleep with the light on for about two hours, that kept them away.  I guess you get what you pay for.

July 26 Loja.  It rained on and off all day.  We walked around town and got acquainted with the place.  A large group of English High School students had rented out a number of rooms for the night so the Hostel was lively to say the least.

When we went to bed we put all our food in one heavy bag and tied it high off the floor.  Tim slept better.  I never did hear any mice.

July 27 Loja.  We woke up to more rain.  We were planning to leave today but decided against it.  The last three days of riding have been in the rain and neither one of us was willing to leave in the rain. 

We hung out in the room, took a nap, read, wrote ect.  I was getting antsy, I felt like we were taking to much time off the bike. Ah well.

July 28 Loja to Catamayo.  The road turned up immediately from Loja.  We topped the pass about 2 hours later.  At the top the wind was blowing so hard it almost knocked me off the bike, luckily it was more of a tail wind then head wind.  I was cold and ready to drop some altitude.

We zipped down the other side to Catamayo.  The road was pleasant, the gradient good and the wind strong enough so we did not have to brake much.  In fact, we passed a couple of trucks on the way down.

Lunch in Catamayo was good.  We needed to decide whether we were going to keep going or stay the night.  I really wanted to ride but we also knew we had a 2,000 foot climb in front of us and we were not sure if there were any towns along the way to get water.  We decided since water was an issue and we were getting near the border so camping may be risky it was time to stop for the night.  We stayed in Hotel Reina del Cinse for $6 per night.

37 km

23 mi

July 29 Catamayo to Km 970.  We set off thinking we had at least a 2,000 foot climb it was warm in the valley at 9:00 in the morning.  We steadily climbed for almost 2 hours and took a short break.  We continued to climb and always thought that the next turn was the top.  The scenery was breathtaking, and very dry.  This is familiar territory for us, it certainly was a desert with cactus, cat claw, and even sage plants.  The wind was usually at our back but around some of the turns it was a strong head wind. 

I was riding ahead of Tim looking for a place to take a break, when I began turning a corner the wind began to pick up.  Luckily it was a tailwind, suddenly a huge gust hit me and I went from 3 mph to 8 mph in a split second.  I had to shift up to keep pedaling and my balance.  I had a difficult time controlling my bike as well. Finally, we took another break and I was beginning to wonder where the top was.  We took a break where a small dirt road lead away from the highway.  We thought it was a great place to camp but we did not have enough water to camp.  We pushed on and soon found a house to get water.  We decided to go back to the first camp site.  We set up camp and enjoyed the view.

It turns out we climbed 1345 meters (4,400 feet) and descended 355 (1,100 feet) meters today.

25 km

15 mi

July 30 Km 970 - Catacocha.  We had visitors this morning, they were actually locals that lived on top of the near by mountain.  I could see the path wind its way up but I could not see any dwellings.  How in the world do they get their belongings up there.

It was windy and a bit chilly, again the wind was at our back, most of the time.  We stopped in Verlacruz for some lunch but we were too early.  We pushed on thinking we could get something to eat in Catacocha.  The terrain felt familiar to me, dry and arid with cactus and colorful birds.

We decided to stay the night in Catacocha, a town build on the side of a hill.  As we rode into town it felt like we were riding into the wild west.  People rode by on horses, walked by with burros in tow, and the buildings were adobe with tile roofs.  A very picturesque town.  The town was a good 400 feet above us but the road meandered up nicely until the very end where it was steep.  Much to our surprise there were a number of hotels in town.  The first one we went to was over priced.  The hotel we stayed at is across from the church, hotel Tombebamba, the redeeming factor is it had hot water.  I recommend checking out the other hotels in towns before choosing one.

We ascended 585 meters (1,900 feet) and descended 1015 meters (3,350) feet) today

35 km

21 mi

July 31 Catacocha.  Decided to take a day off and visit this unique town.  It is definitely off the tourist trail.  The people are friendly and pleasant.

After dinner my stomach started feeling queasy.  In the middle of the night I tossed everything from my stomach.  In the morning I felt awful, so much for leaving today.  Tim forced me out the door to have some soup.  Every time I ate something my stomach would hurt so my appetite was very low.  At dinner I still had a hard time eating.  In the middle of the night my fever broke.  I think that I had a stomach flu or virus rather than Montezuma's revenge.

Aug 1 Catacocha.  I felt better this morning but still weak.  However, I did wake up with a fever blister.  We decided to stay one more night for me to regain my strength.  We can not seem to get into a rhythm of riding.  Hopefully we can scoot through the desert quickly and back into the highlands where it is cool.  
Aug 2 Catacocha - Km 45. 2 Rolling again.  Ten minutes down the road Tim got a flat tire on the front again.  We cruised down from Catacocha to the valley floor quickly, we dropped 750 meters, (about 2,500 feet) in 20 minutes.  We were now down in the desert.  Burros and goats seemed to roam freely everywhere.   We passed an intense game of volleyball, I am sure they play for money.  The temperature started to rise and still we were dropping in elevation.  Suddenly we came to the immigration checkpoint.  I was suffering in the heat and needed some shade to sit out the hot part of the day.  We sat with the customs officers.  They could see we were hungry and feed us papaya, bread, cheese, coke.  I could stay all day. The papaya was the best I ever had, it did not have the bitter taste at all. We filled our 10 liter water bag and was prepared to ride on.  This is when we found that I had a flat tire.  Flat tires are the curse of cyclists.

We found a great place to camp in a gravel pit out of site of the road and any houses.

55 km
Aug 3 Km 45 - Macara. We had yet another good climb today.  As we meandered up the canyon the wild life was abundant.  There were more trees with a dark green bark that looked like hands reaching up to the sky, maybe the heat of the day was getting to me. 45 km
Aug 4 Macara. Rest day.  did laundry. Tomorrow Peru.  
WB01618_.gif (290 bytes)  Previous Journal Thumbnail Photo Page for this Journal

Tim's Letter for this Journal

Next Journal  WB01620_.gif (288 bytes)

INDEX #2: South America
6-3-03 to 6-17-04

1North and
Central America
3-30-02 to 4-17-03

2 South America
6-3-03 to 6-17-04

3 SE Asia / China
11-22-04 to

4 Australia
9-15-06 to 9-15-07

5 New Zealand
9-16-07 to 5-2-08
6 Alaska, Canada, and the USA
5-3-08 to 4-30-10
7 India. Nepal, and the Subcontinent
5-1-10 to present

(see all 3 book)

June 4 -  July 8, 2003
Ecuador #1
Quito to Riobamba, Ecuador

Cindie's Daily Journals
Ecuador #1

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)
Ecuador: Riding on top of the Southern Hemisphere

Best Place to see Pictures
Thumbnail Page of Pictures in Ecuador #1

Full size Picture Pages

- Quito The Old City
- The Equator "Mitad del Mundo"
- Volcano Tugurahua, Backpacking
- Banos, Ecuador Natural Hot Springs
- Quito to Latacunga, Ecuador
- The City of Latacunga, Ecuador
- Latacunga to Riobamba, Ecuador
- The Village of Mocha, Ecuador
- The City of Riobamba, Ecuador
- Other


July 9 - Aug 4, 2003
Ecuador #2
Riobamba to Macara, Ecuador
( Peruvian border)

Cindie's Daily Journals
Ecuador #2

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)
Ecuador #2: The Magic of the Andes

The Fastest Place to see Pictures
Thumbnail Page of  Pictures in Ecuador #2

Full size Picture Pages

- Riobamba to Alausi, Ecuador
- The City of Alausi, Ecuador
- Nariz Del Diablo - Train Ride
- Alausi to Cuenca, Ecuador
- The City of Cuenca, Ecuador
- Cuenca to Loja, Ecuador
- Loja to Macara, Ecuador


Aug 5 - Sept. 14, 2003
Peru #1
The Ecuador border to Huallanca, Peru

Cindie's Daily Journals

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)
Peru #1 Riding Between The Extremes

Best Place to see Pictures
Peru #1 THUMBS

Full size Picture Pages

- The Ecuador Border to Chiclayo, Peru
- Chiclayo to Trujillo, Peru
- Casa De Ciclista, Peru Cyclist House
- The Ruins of Chan Chan
- Ruins - Temple of the Moon and Sun
- Trujillo to Huallanca, Peru
- Huallanca to Huaraz, Peru
- Huarez to Pachapaque
- Pachapaqui to Huallanca


Sept. 15 - Oct. 31, 2003
Peru #2
Huallanca, Peru to
Copacabana, Bolivia

Cindie's Daily Journals

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)
Peru #2: Been Doing Some Hard Traveling

Best Place to see Pictures
Peru #2 THUMBS

Full size Picture Pages

- Huallanca to Huanuco
- Huanuco to La Oroya, Peru
- Arequipa, Peru
- Cusco, Peru
- Tambo Machay, Pucapucara, Qenqo
- Sacsayhuaman, Inca Ruin
- Machu Picchu #1
- Machu Picchu #2
- Machu Picchu #3
- Cusco to Santa Rosa, Peru
- Santa Rosa, Peru to Copacabana Bolivia
- Uros, Peru Lake Titicaca


November 1 - December 8, 2003
Copacabana to Villazon, Bolivia

Cindie's Daily Journals

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)
Bolivia: The Calm After the Storm.

Best Place to see Pictures
Bolivia THUMBS

Full size Picture Pages

- Copacabana, Bolivia on Lake Titicaca
- Todos Santos - Day of the Dead
- Copacabana to La Paz
- La Paz to Oruro
- Oruro to Quillacas
- Quillacas to Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
- Salar de Uyuni Salt Lake to The City of Uyuni

(December 9, 2003 - January 22, 2004)
NW Argentina
La Quiaca, to La Cueva, (border with Chile) Argentina

Cindie's Daily Journals
Cindie's North West Argentina Daily Journal

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)
Northwest Argentina: The Wrong Way In the Right Country 

Best Place to see Pictures
Pictures of  North West Argentina

Full size Picture Pages

- Quiaca to Tilcara
- Tilcara to Salta
- Salta to Cafayate
- Cafayate to Belen
- Belen to Mendoza
- Parque National Talampaya
- Valle De Luna Provincial Park
- Mendoza to La Cueva
- Aconcagua National Park

January 23 - February 29, 2004
Portillo, Chile to Bariloche, Argentina

Cindie's Daily Journals
Cindie's Chile Daily Journal

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)

Best Place to see Pictures
Thumbnails of Chile

Full size Picture Pages

- Portillo to Los Andes
- Temuco to Parqua National Conguillio
- Conguillio National Park to Villarrica
- Villarrica to Playa Pucara
- Playa Pucura to Puerto Pirihueico
- Bariloche, Argentina Velodrome

March 3, to 23, 2004
  Patagonia, South America
 Argentina and Chile

Cindie's Daily Journals

Tim's Emailed Newsletters (Join  List)

Best Place to see Pictures
Patagonia THUMBS

Full size Picture Pages

- Southern Patagonia Birds
- Perito Moreno Glacier, (Before rupture)
- Perito Moreno Glacier (After rupture)
- Torres Del Paine National Park #1
- Torres Del Paine National Park #2
- Torres Del Paine National Park #3
- Torres Del Paine National Park #4
- El Chalten  - Fritz Roy
- Cuevas los Manos, Rock Art

- My First Jewish Passover
- Ski Argentina Cerro Cathedral
- Fall in Bariloche
- Cerro Campanerio
- Cerro Lopez
- Nordic Cross Country Skiing Bariloche, Argentina

1North and
Central America
3-30-02 to 4-17-03

2 South America
6-3-03 to 6-17-04

3 SE Asia / China
11-22-04 to

4 Australia
9-15-06 to 9-15-07

5 New Zealand
9-16-07 to 5-2-08
6 Alaska, Canada, and the USA
5-3-08 to 4-30-10
7 India. Nepal, and the Subcontinent
5-1-10 to present
Where am I  now

Subscribe to Email Newsletter



Bicycle Touring
Tips & Advice

- Bike Stuff
- Camping

Touring Bicycles

Tools and Spares

Sleeping Bags
Camping Mattress
Camp Stove
Water Filter
Pots and Pans
First Aide Kits
Solar Power
Bike Maps
Preventing Flat Tires

Bike Computer
Cargo Trailers
Kick Stands
Commuting Bikes

Camp Shower/Toiletry Bag


Bike Shoes
Bike Touring Shorts

Stealth/Free Camp

What I Have Learned On The Road

Dreaming of Endless Travel

Injustice of Poverty

Much MORE Gear Here!

Sponsors (how?)

Cycle Touring Racks

Tents and ground cloths
Sleeping Bags
Camping Mattress Pads

Email Newsletter











2002 - 2020 (TM) All Rights Reserved

Find out how you can use my pictures on your web site legally and free of charge.